Saturday 27th October 2018
Lake Ming: Kern River Group Picnic Aarea: 13648 Lake Ming Road, Bakersfield, United States
The Kern Wheelmen Bicycle Club invites you to enjoy our 32nd annual Spooktacular Century on October 27th. Registration includes six great routes to choose from, one entry to our raffle, post ride meal, spooky rest stops, marked routes, maps, full sag support, goodie bag, an eerie lack of traffic and one stoplight. Decorate your bike, wear spooky clothing and join the fun.
1. Hideous Hundred - 10,800 feet of climbing - 109 miles. Bring your big gears and an attitude. This ride up Breckenridge Mountain will Haunt you for a long time and the decent will give you Chills. Your special Hideous Hundred patch will be waiting for you at the top. Difficulty-Extreme, Suggested ride start at 6:00am.
2. Horrible Hundred- 8,600 feet of climbing - 102 miles. You had better still bring those big gears; Lion's Trail and White Wolf grade are each 5 1/2 miles long and have grades of 6-8% that will make your quads Scream with Pain. Difficulty-Extreme, Start Before 6:00am.
3. Nightmare Ninety- 4,500 feet of climbing - 92 miles. Actually after the White Wolf Grade some of this course will leave you with pleasant dreams as you ride up Caliente Creek to Twin Oaks and back. Start Before 7:00am.
4. Morbid Metric- 2,900 feet of climbing - 62 miles. With a Monster climb of its own White Wolf grade will get your lungs Howling. Your destination is Caliente where you will meet the riders from the Hideous and Horrible Hundreds & Nightmare Ninety. Start Before 8:00am
5. Frightful Forty- 500 feet of climbing - 40 miles. Enjoy this Halloween ride along Kern River on our bike path, past the California Living Museum, Ethel's Coral and up rattlesnake grade (two miles of 3-4% grade) which will get your legs asking for Mercy! Start Before 9:00am.
6. Trembling Twenty- Same route as Frightful Forty. Rattlesnake grade will get your legs Screeching and a long downhill will get your lungs Gasping. Start Before 9:00am.
FOR MORE INFO VISIT:
Active registration closes Thursday October 25 at 11:59 pm
LATE REGISTRATION AND PACKET PICK-UP
Friday, October 26th from 4:30 to 8:00 pm at Rusty's Pizza in the shopping center on Ming Ave and Wible Road, or onsite Saturday, October 27 at 5:00 am - 8:00 am at the Lake Ming Kern River Group Picnic area.
Spooktacular cycling jersies can be ordered directly from Pedal Industries using a link on the KernWheelmen.org website.
Check in by 5:00pm to let us know that you survived this Ghastly ordeal.
SAG & Rest Stops
Plenty of rest stops & expert roving SAG is provided.
From Hwy. 99, go east on HWY 58 to Comanche Drive. Turn Left (North) on Comanche Drive. Comanche Drive turns into Alfred Harrell Highway. Continue to stop sign (Lake Ming road) turn right and follow the Spooktacular signs.
The rides will take place rain or shine. Sorry, no refunds. Bad weather may cause route changes. Temperatures may vary from hot to cold so prepare accordingly.
Ride limited to 600 riders
Course Closes at 5:00pm - Give yourself plenty of time!
Kern Wheelmen Bicycle Club
PO BOX 9662, Bakersfield