Saturday 10th November 2018
5300 The Woods Road: 5300 The Woods Road, Kitty Hawk, United States
TowneBank Outer Banks Marathon
Enjoy cheers and encouragement by hundreds of Outer Banks residents along the way! Run through the village of Kitty Hawk, the historical Kill Devil Hills, (home of the First Flight), through the incredible maritime forest of Nags Head and finally... the equally historic Town of Manteo. During your down time visit our awesome OBX beaches, piers and restaurants. Come for the weekend ... stay for the week! The Outer Banks Marathon, follows its way through the natural beauty that is North Carolina’s Outer Banks. Come run with us and cover some spectacular ground! After finishing the Outer Banks Marathon, you will have run one of the most beautiful parts of the East Coast – but don’t take our word for it – come see for yourself!
"The OBX is a beauty of a place and a beauty of a race. I discover new things every Year. And I've made some good friends from the Outer Banks. It is a lot of fun to catch up on the news each year when I visit. It's especially nice to be remembered and welcomed back each year." ~ D Vernes
"...after enjoying the hospitality of so many OBXers last week before, during and after my race, I’m not surprised. Y’all have done an outstanding job of promoting this race and executing every detail. This entire experience merits a High Five Fun Factor! Thank you, hope to see you next year!" ~ E. Anderson
Outer Banks Marathon - Schedule of Events
Friday, November 9th, 2018
Athlete Expo & Packet Pick-Up - 9 AM
Saturday, November 10th, 2018
Super Saturday Festival - 9AM - 12PM
Outer Banks 8k - 7:30 AM
Athlete Expo & Packet Pick-Up - 9 AM
Outer Banks 5k - 9:30 AM
Outer Banks Fun Run - 11:15 AM
Sunday, November 11th, 2018
TowneBank Outer Banks Marathon &
Southern Fried Half Marathon
Southern Fried Half Marathon Start - 7:00AM
Townebank Outer Banks Marathon Start - 7:20AM
Pots Race Party - Beverage & Beer Garden - 8:30AM - 2:30PM
Live Band - Johnny Waters & Coimpany - 8:30AM - 2:30PM
Southern 6 Start - 8:45 AM
Southern Fried Half Marathon Award Ceremony - 10:30AM - 11:00AM
TowneBank Outer Banks Marathon Award Ceremony - 12:15PM - 12:45PM
Important Info About Course Limits! PLease Read Carefully!
NC DOT requires that a 16 minute per mile pace must be maintained for the 26.2 miles by runners/walkers. The bridge closes for participants at 1:30PM. There will be two (2) checkpoints to insure this pace.
Checkpoint 1 @ mile 3.5
Cut-off time is 8:30AM
Checkpoint 2 @ 13.1
Cut-off time is 11:00AM
8k finish time: 1.5 Hours
5k finish time: 1.0 Hours
(Stragglers will be swept from course)
DIRECTIONS TO THE RUNNER’S EXPO
Dare County Youth Center
602 Mustian Street, Kill Devil Hills
Friday, November 10th - 12 PM - 7 PM
Saturday, November 11th - 9 AM - 6 PM
Parking is NOT available at the Youth Center.
Participants are encouraged to park at First Flight
Elementary, Middle and High Schools, located a short
walk from the Youth Center (see map).
• Youth Center- From US 158, turn west at the
Colington Road/ Ocean Bay Blvd. traffic light (MP
Take the first left onto Mustian Street. The Youth
Center is located just beyond the Library and the
Water Department, on the right.
• First Flight Schools Parking - Friday & Saturday
From US 158, turn west at the Colington Road/Ocean
Bay Blvd. traffic light (MP 8.5).
Take a left at the traffic light onto Veterans Drive.
Go south on Veterans Drive to First Flight High, go around the traffic circle to First Flight
Elementary, or right at the traffic circle to First Flight Middle Parking Lots.
Saturday Races & Events - 11/10/2018
Location: First Flight High School Track, 100 Veterans Drive, Kill Devil Hills.
In front of the grandstand, with parking available at First Flight Middle School & High School, a short walk from the track (see map) Directions (to the track): US 158 go west on Ocean Bay Blvd/Colington Road (MP 8.5), turn left at first traffic light on to Veterans Drive. Continue south on Veterans Drive past First Flight High School (FFHS), bear right at the circle, go past FFHS parking lot on the right and First Flight Middle School and Elementary School on the left. Parking is available at FFES, FFMS and FFHS. The track is located past the parking lots, at the end of this road.
Saturday Race Day Schedule:
7:30 AM – Outer Banks 8K Start
9:00 AM – 6 PM – Race EXPO & Packet Pick-Up
8:45 AM – 8K Awards
9:00 AM – Family Fun Festival
9:30 AM – Buccaneer 5K Start
10:30 AM – 5K Awards
11:15 AM – Surf Pediatrics & Medicine Fun Run Start
11:45 AM – Diaper Dash
PASTA PARTY 2 Seatings at 5pm & 6pm Get it to go! Take-out available! 5PM – 8PM – Saturday, November 11th Beachside Bistro, Sea Ranch Resort 1731 Virginia Dare Trail, Kill Devil Hills, NC 27948 Tickets while they last are available at the Race EXPO!
Saturday Packet PickUp & Fun Run Registration
Bib pick up is available 45 minutes prior to each race Start on Saturday, November 11th at the First Flight High School Track.
YOU MUST SHOW YOUR ID & HAVE YOUR BIB NUMBER WITH YOU.
Look for the white tents.
Super Saturday, November 11 First Flight High School Track/Football Field 100 Veterans Drive, Kill Devil Hills, 27948
8K - Pick up times are 6:30 AM-7:15 AM; 7:30 AM start - no onsite registration
5K - Pick up times are 8:30 AM-9:15 AM; 9:30 AM start - no onsite registration
Fun Run - Registration & Bib Pick up times are 9:30 AM-11:00 AM; 11:15 AM start
Super Saturday Family Festival Come for the Run…stay for the Festival!
Surf Pediatrics & Medicine presents the Super Saturday Festival offering food and fun for all! Open to the public! Activities include: •Corn Hole Toss •Face Painting/Tattoos •Bounce Houses (2) •Kitty Hawk Kites Rock Climbing Wall Tubbs Hot Dogs and Island Perks will have food and beverages available for purchase!
Sunday Races - 11/11/2018
How to get there... the Start
MARATHONERS 26.2 -
START 7:20 AM
Location – 5300 The Woods Road, Kitty Hawk.
Runner Drop Off: Kitty Hawk Elementary School – a short walk to the Start. From Hwy 158 (the Bypass) in Southern Shores, turn onto Dogwood Trail. Turn right into the parking lot of Kitty Hawk Elementary School, 16 Dogwood Trail, Southern Shores.
Runner drop-off is at the school, and walk to the Start.
Marathon Shuttles: Park near the Start at WalMart parking lot, take a shuttle to the Start and catch a shuttle back to your car after the race OR park near the Finish, take a shuttle to the Start, run the race and then take a shuttle to your car parked near the Finish.
Park near Start option: Wal-Mart: 5400 N Croatan Highway, Kitty Hawk, NC 27949 Shuttles departing every 10 minutes beginning at 6:30AM.
Park near Finish option: Manteo High School: 616 Wingina Avenue, Manteo NC 27959
All shuttles depart Manteo High School at 5:45AM to take you to the Marathon Start. *Shuttle service to the Starts is not available after 5:45AM. Return Shuttles will take you to your car after the race. You can find the shuttles in the downtown area at the end of Queen Elizabeth street, parked near the Pavilion and the UPS trucks.
They run every 15 minutes, until 3:00 PM
HALF MARATHONERS 13.1 - START 7:00 AM
Location - 111 E. Baltic St. and Wrightsville Ave, Nags Head.
Runner Drop Off: Get dropped off at the Start, from Highway 158 (the Bypass) or Highway 12 (Beach Road) in Nags Head, turn onto Bonnet Street, then turn north onto Memorial Avenue. Runner drop-off is on Memorial Avenue between Bonnet and Barnes Street in Nags Head.
Half Marathon Shuttles: Park near the Start, walk the short distance to the Start then catch a shuttle back to your car after the race; OR, park near the Finish, take a shuttle to the Start, run the race and the take a shuttle to your car parked near the Finish.
Park near Start option: 1) Nags Head Elementary School - 3020 Wrightsville Avenue, Nags Head, NC 27959 2) Overflow Parking: YMCA - 3000 S. Croatan Hwy., Nags Head, NC 27959 Shuttles depart from Nags Head Elementary every 10 minutes beginning at 6:15AM.
Park near Finish option: Manteo High School: 616 Wingina Avenue, Manteo NC, 27954 All shuttles depart Manteo High School at 5:45AM to take you to the Half Marathon Start. *Shuttle service is not available after 5:45AM.
SOUTHERN 6 - START 8:45 AM Tanger Outlet Center, Southern most entrance! 7100 South Croatan Hwy, Nags Head, NC 27959
Grab a shuttle from either the Full or Half Marathon Start. Tell the driver you are going to the Southern 6 Start. The shuttle will drop you at the “Wings Store” across the street from the Start. Walk to the traffic light and cross 158. Look south, for the Start at the South end of the Tanger parking lot.
Where To Find The Food And Fun
At the Finish Line, there will be bananas, PBJ Snackers, pretzels, water and Gatorade. On Queen Elizabeth Street, Free runner food! Carolina Style BBQ, and sweet potato fries. Food for purchase will be available for non-runners. Beer Garden Of age runners may choose either Corona Light or Pacifico. Look for the beer garden on the waterfront at the intersection of Budleigh St. and Queen Elizabeth Ave. Race Bibs will have your age printed on them. Show them to the Beer Garden Volunteer.Those without bibs will need a photo ID. Live Music Jonny Waters & Company is a hot local band with influences from the Allman Brothers, Johnny Cash, Jack Johnson, the Zac Brown Band, and many more.
Race Day Traffic Pattern - To help spectators get to the Finish line and post-race festivities, all traffic entering Manteo/Roanoke Island after 7:30AM on race day will use the Virginia Dare Memorial Bridge. Turn right and travel through Manns Harbor, cross the Manns Harbor Bridge and enter Manteo from the west side of the island. This will add an additional 20-25 minutes to your trip to the Finish in downtown Manteo. Parking is available at Manteo High School and Elementary where you can catch a free shuttle to the post race party at the Finish! Note: the Washington-Baum Bridge will be open to traffic.
• Start Line Parking & Shuttles Immediately following the start of the TowneBank Outer Banks Marathon and Southern Fried Half Marathon, a limited number of shuttles will be available to take spectators from the Starts. Several of these shuttles will be making only one trip to the Finish). A shuttle from downtown Manteo will also be available to return spectators to, Walmart, Kitty Hawk Elementary, Nags Head Elementary, YMCA or Manteo High School. Return shuttles will run all day, starting at 7:45 AM until 3:00 PM. Find them on the corner of Budleigh and Lord Essex St.
• Finish Line Limited street-side parking is available in downtown Manteo. For Finish line spectators, ample parking and convenient shuttles are available at three locations in Manteo:
Manteo High School - 616 Wingina Avenue,
Manteo Middle School - 1000 US Hwy. 64/264,
Manteo Elementary School - 701 US Hwy. 64/264
Spectator Shuttles Free shuttle service is available for all spectators from designated parking lots. Shuttles will depart from Manteo Schools every 15 minutes beginning at 7:15AM and run till 3 pm.. Spectator Spots All areas provide direct viewing and off-road parking immediately adjacent to the course.
•RPC Contracting, 934. W. Kitty Hawk Road, by MM2, Kitty Hawk
•Wright Brothers Memorial, US 158, MP7, Kill Devil Hills
•First Flight Elementary and High School, 100/109 Veterans Drive, by MM9, Kill Devil Hills
•Nags Head Woods Visitor Center, 701 W. Ocean Acres Drive, by MP9.5, Kill Devil Hills
Marathon and Half Marathon course:
• YMCA, 3000 S. Croatan Hwy., by MP11, between MM13 & MM14, Nags Head
• Outer Banks Mall, 5000 S. Croatan Hwy., MP14, between MM17 & MM18, Nags Head
• Tanger Outlet Mall, 7100 S. Croatan Hwy., MP16, Nags Head
• Dare County Justice Center, 962 Marshall Collins Drive, before MM25, Manteo
• Chesley Mall , US Highway 64, between MM25 & MM26, Manteo
• College of the Albemarle, 205 US Highway 64, before MM26, Manteo.
Relay Information 2, 3 or 4 Person Marathon Relay Guide
• Each relay team will be issued up to four bibs with an identical number and ONE baton containing a timing chip. Runners are to pass the baton to their teammates at the exchange points. Runners will carry the baton in his or her hand while running.
• The first runner (Leg #1) will start with the rest of the marathon field. There is not a separate start for the Relay Teams. The other team members are responsible their own transportation to the exchange zone and will need to be there well before the fastest runners pass by, as area roads will close. (DETAILS ON TRANSPORTATION ARE BELOW).
• On the course, signs will designate the location of the upcoming exchange point. Upon entering the exchange area, incoming runners should make sure their bib number is visible. A volunteer will announce the incoming runner’s bib number to the waiting runners via megaphone.
• Each relay runner will pass the baton to the next relay runner at the relay exchange point. The 4th runner will cross the finish line. The team will receive one time and is racing against other Relay Teams only. You will not get an individual time for your leg of the race. Teams can be all male, all female or co-ed.
• Each member of the Reay Team will receive T shirt and goody bag with his/ her bib at the Expo. Each team member will also receive a finisher medal-all given to the runner crossing the finish line.
• There will be a shuttle picking up from the Exchange points and delivering runners who have finished his/her leg of the relay to downtown Manteo at the approximate times indicated below. This does not guarantee that you will see your teammate cross the finish line. It does however take you to the finish area to get your medal, meet up with the rest of your relay team and celebrate!
EXCHANGE #1: Mile 6ish- on Bay Drive.-Lot accessible from 3rd. Shuttle at Boat lot approx. @ 8:20am.
EXCHANGE #2: Mile 13-Towne Park on West Barnes. Runners must walk up from on 158. Shuttle in DMV lot approx. 9:15.
EXCHANGE #3: Mile 20-Seachase/ Epstein & 158. Shuttle at BB&T Bank lot at approximately 10:40am.
• Know your teammate’s pace, keep track of the race time, and know when to expect him/her.
• Wear or carry something easily identifiable by the incoming runner at the exchange.
• Assist your fellow runners by shouting all incoming bib numbers.
• Plan for a meeting place beyond the Finish chute (Fernando & Queen Elizabeth Street in Manteo) to reunite with your team.
Lost & Found • Cannot Finish# • Get the App!
Lost & Found - Family Reunion - Retail Tent
All lost and found items, excluding discarded clothing along the course, will be taken to the Retail tent on Queen Elizabeth St. at the Finish. Call (252) 255- 6273 for assistance.
Discarded clothing along the course will be thrown away.
The Retail Tent is a great location to meet up with your family & friends too!
Can’t Finish? Please call or ask a course volunteer to call 911 if you need immediate medical assistance.
First Aid tents will be located along the course, every 2 miles beginning at mile marker 3. In a non-emergency situation, call or ask a volunteer to call, (252) 423-1537 to arrange complimentary transportation to the Finish, where you can catch a shuttle to your vehicle (Manteo High School, Nags Head Elementary, YMCA, Kitty Hawk Elementary or Walmart) or meet friends and family at the OBSE Retail tent located at the Finish on Queen Elizabeth Street.
GET THE APP! Download the free Its Your Race App on your iPhone or Android. Keep up to date race information at your fingertips! •Weekend Schedule •Course Maps •Expo Info •Shuttle Info •Runner Tracking - for family and friends •Race Results
RACE CHARITIES RUN FOR A REASON:
All net proceeds generated by Outer Banks Sporting Events benefit the missions of the Outer Banks Relief Foundation, helping Dare families in need, and the Dare Education Foundation, supporting excellence in education.
Thank you for running, walking, volunteering, and sponsoring! Your participation is helping two Outer Banks charities.
OBSE is a non-profit and 100% of the net proceeds from all Outer Banks Sporting Events support the Outer Banks Relief Foundation and the Dare Education Foundation. Over 1.8 million has been donated to these charities from OBSE events.
The Outer Banks Relief Foundation, Inc. offers hope, dignity and support to citizens in our Outer Banks community who are burdened with financial difficulties as a result of debilitating disease, or a personal tragedy to themselves and/or their families. Visit: www.outerbanksrelieffoundation.com
The mission of the Dare Education Foundation (DEF) is making great ideas in education come to life by funding initiatives that enhance the experiences of students and teachers in Dare County. Please visit dareeducationfoundation.org for more information.
Outer Banks Sporting Events
2234 South Lark Ave., Nags Head