Runner’s World’s Bart Yasso has called it the "Must do in your lifetime" marathon. The Big Sur Marathon offers an incredibly scenic course as well as a serious challenge for most runners. Staged on Hwy 1, runners & walkers are treated to panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean on their left and the pastoral beauty of the coastal mountain range on their right. There is an eclectic range of music along the course, including Michael Martinez playing the Yamaha Grand Piano at Bixby Bridge.
Join the Runner's World VIP for an exclusive opportunity to be coached by Budd Coates, RW's Director of Training, train with the editors of RW, run with them at Big Sur International Marathon, and more.
Event details and schedule
- Open to 300 entrants; must be 16 years of age or older to participate
- The non-refundable entry fee is $434.99 per person
- Participants can enjoy a heated tent at the start with access to private porto-potties along with a catered hospitality tent at the finish with VIP access to the massage tent. Guest passes for the VIP tent are available for $30 and can be purchased with registration
- There is a strict 6 hour time limit for the Marathon and one must finish within this limit to receive the official Finisher's Medallion. This is a pace of 13:45 minutes per mile. The six hours begins when the final starter crosses the timing mat at the start of the race. All participants must reach mile 21.2 by 11:50 a.m. or they will be stopped there and shuttled to the finish. Anyone stopped here will receive a 21-Miler medallion and be listed in the Results Book as participating but will not receive an official time or a marathon finish medallion.
- The Portola Hotel & Spa is the host hotel for the 2018 RW VIP program. Located next to the Expo and Fisherman's Wharf, the Portola is the center of the action during race weekend.
- Bib-chip timing by South Valley Endurance for all participants. Overall awards are based on GUN time; divisional awards are based on chip time. Runners must show a time on all course split mats (miles 5, 9.8, 13.15, 15.6, 22, and 24.2) to be eligible for awards