User Forums
Changes to embedded route availability - Printable Version

+- User Forums (https://www.mapometer.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Using Mapometer.com (https://www.mapometer.com/forum/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Embedding (https://www.mapometer.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Changes to embedded route availability (/thread-55.html)

Changes to embedded route availability - Colin - 20 Mar 2018

Google recently changed the pricing structure for Google Maps API usage.  This has meant that we are charged for every additional 1000 map loads.

We had previously allowed all users to embed maps without charge.  However, the embeds were accounting for an increasingly large fraction of our maps loads and resulting in significant charges to us from Google.  As the embeds had no ads or other form of income creation, they were a net financial liability.

The decision was therefore made to allow embedding only by subscribed users.  This is both as a reward for those who support the site and an encouragement for those wanting to embed to embed maps to help support the maintenance and continued development of the site.

RE: Changes to embedded route availability - GogTriathlon - 06 Apr 2018

(20 Mar 2018, 12:25 PM)Colin Wrote: Google recently changed the pricing structure for Google Maps API usage.  This has meant that we are charged for every additional 1000 map loads.

We had previously allowed all users to embed maps without charge.  However, the embeds were accounting for an increasingly large fraction of our maps loads and resulting in significant charges to us from Google.  As the embeds had no ads or other form of income creation, they were a net financial liability.

The decision was therefore made to allow embedding only by subscribed users.  This is both as a reward for those who support the site and an encouragement for those wanting to embed to embed maps to help support the maintenance and continued development of the site.

I have paid my Subscription.  I can't work out how to embed routes in our website.  Please provide instructions.

Also, on the routes I can't enable the symbols (e.g. toilet, food etc.)  Again, please provide instructions how to do this.

RE: Changes to embedded route availability - Colin - 10 Apr 2018

Hi GogTriathlon,

If you view (not edit) the route you wish to embed, there is an embed button in the 'actions' section of the left-hand controls.
Just click this button and fill in the requested fields in the dialog. You'll then be given a code snippet to add to your site.

The waypoint icons (symbols) are already enabled for anyone with a subscription. When editing the route, just drag the desired icon onto the map where you'd like it to appear. The map will then zoom into this area to allow you to position it more precisely. The info window for the waypoint will open automatically and you can add a comment or description. The waypoint marker can be moved at any time by dragging and the description edited by clicking on the marker.

If you have any further problems or queries feel free to ask.

Colin

RE: Changes to embedded route availability - GogTriathlon - 10 Apr 2018

Colin

I have found the embed button - thanks!

I still can't add Waypoint icons from Firefox, but confirmed I can do it using MS Edge. Is this something to do with my Firefox settings or a general issue?

Thanks

RE: Changes to embedded route availability - Colin - 16 Apr 2018

There does seem to be a problem with marker dragging on Firefox.
We'll look into this and get it fixed.

RE: Changes to embedded route availability - GogTriathlon - 10 Jun 2018

The appearance of text on embedded maps seems to have changed. In particular the font for the Route title linking to Mapometer and the notes attached to the embedded route.  Or is this something to do with my webpage?

I have created the attached  http://gogtriathlon.com/local-info/cycling-routes-intro/suggested-cycle-routes/

I would like the route titles to be larger and in bold.  Also, the notes are barely legible.

Please advise.

Thanks