User Forums
Google Maps API pricing changes - Printable Version

+- User Forums (https://www.mapometer.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Announcements (https://www.mapometer.com/forum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: News (https://www.mapometer.com/forum/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Google Maps API pricing changes (/thread-61.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Google Maps API pricing changes - Colin - 30 May 2018

As some of you may have heard,  Google recently announced major changes in its pricing structure for its Maps API and related services (with very short notice).

These changes include slashing the free usage limits from 25,000 map loads per day to 28,000 per month.  Maps loads above this free threshold used to be charged at $0.50 per thousand.  As of June 11th these additional map loads will be changed at between $5.60 and $7.00 per thousand.

Additionally, as of September, other mapping services called through the JavaScript API (such as geocoding, elevation or routing), which weren't previously billed separately, will now be counted and billed as separate API uses.

The nature of our site, and its API usage profile, would result in Google charging us FAR more for using their maps API than we could ever hope to generate from the site.

These billing changes have left us with no choice but to re implement the mapping on the site using an alternative mapping API and alternative service providers.  It has also stopped the release of some new Street View functionality we'd been working on (only Google supports Street View).
We'll attempt to keep the new functionality and interfaces as similar to the existing site as possible, however, there will inevitably have to be some changes when re-coding with a different API.

The short notice given by Google means that we may not be able to switch over to a new implementation with all of the existing functionality in place immediately.  We will endeavour to get the core functionality up and running quickly. More peripheral or less widely used functionality may be delayed slightly.  We ask for your understanding and patience during the change-over.  

We'll post changes to the 'updates' thread here as and when we make new releases.

RE: Google Maps API pricing changes - Colin - 18 Jun 2018

Google have announced that the pricing changes won't now be applied until July 16th.
This will give us a little more time to work on switching to a new API.
We should now be able to get the full site functionality changed over before going live with the new version.

RE: Google Maps API pricing changes - Colin - 10 Jul 2018

We're planning to role-out the replacement of the Google Maps API on the site with a LeafletJS implementation on Friday 13th July (what could possibly go wrong!)

We've tried to keep the interface as close as possible to the current system, to ease the transition, but obviously the new system won't be identical in all respects.

If you find any bugs (and there will certainly be some with size of re-write) please post details of how to reproduce the problem onto  Development > Bug Reports

RE: Google Maps API pricing changes - Sarah_Morgans - 18 Jul 2018

That's such a shame. I understand and I'm not paying to use your service so I can't complain but it's nowhere near as good now as you obviously know and difficult for plotting routes when you live somewhere rural like I do. If I upgrade to a paid service would I get the google maps back or does it apply across the board?

RE: Google Maps API pricing changes - Hammers1968 - 19 Jul 2018

You have been broken by Google and are now pretty much unusable for the routes I map in a rural area. Shame as the tool was great, would be prepared to pay a subscription for the previous funcionality

RE: Google Maps API pricing changes - Colin - 23 Jul 2018

I guess in theory it would be possible to provide the Google implementation to subscribers who want it and a Leaflet implementation to others. However, it would mean maintaining two versions of the code and I don't think we'd get enough takers to make that worthwhile.

We're still looking for better alternatives for satellite maps, but getting high resolution that doesn't break the bank seems to be impossible.

RE: Google Maps API pricing changes - lilebeck - 23 Jul 2018

Sorry to hear this. Will the footpaths be visible once you have got the change-over sorted, or have they been lost with the new system? Such a shame as that is what I use to see how long my proposed walks are.

RE: Google Maps API pricing changes - besfordp - 24 Jul 2018

(19 Jul 2018, 07:32 PM)Hammers1968 Wrote: You have been broken by Google and are now pretty much unusable for the routes I map in a rural area. Shame as the tool was great, would be prepared to pay a subscription for the previous funcionality

I agree, this was my "go to" tool for all cycling and walking routes. I found that the openstreet map and openstreet map cycle maps were the best and showed a lot of detail. The current roadmap and terrain offer none of this detail outside of towns and less detail in towns and cities.
Not sure i fully understand the link to Google as OpenStreetmaps are free and not part of google (not yet anyway) and so i am hopefully that you will be able to restore the Openstreet map detail as before. I dont care about google maps or streetview

RE: Google Maps API pricing changes - Andy Chaplin - 25 Jul 2018

Same here - footpaths is all that I was using. :-(

RE: Google Maps API pricing changes - Harry Ziman - 28 Jul 2018

Sadly the new mapping is much harder to use for horse riding as off-road paths are not marked. It makes it difficult. Hopefully you can find a better mapping product as otherwise I may nee to search out an alternative which would be a pity as I like Mapometer.